Dog Chocolate Poison Information



Feeding a dog chocolate is like feeding a Dog Chocolate Poison because your dog will love it and start to crave more.

People often think that giving a dog a small amount of chocolate can be harmless, but this is hardly the case. To dogs chocolate tastes incredibility good and will often try and sneak in a lick or two if you're not looking.

It seems that it is common knowledge that chocolate is a Toxic Food for dogs, but these events happen more often than one would like to admit. ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has admitted that they get a large amount of calls in regards to dog chocolate poison during the holidays like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Halloween, Easter, and Christmas.

The reason why chocolate is so deadly is because it has a natural chemical called theobromine. Cocoa beans have about 1,2% theobromine, while chocolate has smaller dosages because it is processed, it is this chemical that can be toxic to dogs and even to people who consumed it in large amounts.

Dogs simply can not metabolize theobromine as fast as humans, which creates buildup and soon the body reacts badly due to its inability to properly digest the chemical.

The first signs of chocolate poisoning are nausea, Vomiting, diarrhea, and an increase in urination.

The Symptoms can move up to epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, heart attacks, and death. In extreme clinical cases chocolate symptoms can continue for 72 hours. If your dog had eaten any chocolate within two hours of reaching a vet, the vet will make him vomit the contents out and then proceed with further treatment.

There are different varieties of chocolate that, depending, which one is given to the dog, can have minor to severe effects.

You can never know how much is too much when it comes to chocolate, but to give a basic outline white chocolate tends to be the least deadly.

  • 200 ounces of white chocolate per pound of body weight can start to manifest signs of poisoning.
  • Milk chocolate is 1 ounce per pound of body weight.
  • Sweet cocoa is 0.3 ounces.
  • Baking chocolate coming in at its deadliest with 0.1 ounce per body weight.

You should still never feed your dog chocolate. These numbers are provided just in case you caught your dog eating some chocolate and you are worried if the amount he ate is deadly.

Be sure to have your local vet's number on your phone or fridge and to keep it handy at all times. You should also have a 24/7 Veterinarian if your local vet does not provide these services. It is recommend that you use 3% hydrogen peroxide from your Dog First Aid Kit to induce vomiting.

You can always call Animal Poison Control Center if you feel your dog is eaten to much chocolate. Their number is (888) 426-4435 and you will be charged a $65 dollar fee when calling. Be sure to have relevant information about your dog at hand like his weight, age, breed, sex, and how much chocolate you think he might have eaten.

I hope you this information about Dog Chocolate Poison helpful.




Subscribe to It's A Dog's Life - YOUR Dog's! , our monthly newsletter with information to help you keep your dog safe and healthy with some free Bonuses. Fill out the form below. You'll then receive an email asking you to confirm that you subscribed. And you'll always have the option to unsubscribe at the click of your mouse.

Subscribe to
It's A Dog's Life — YOUR Dog's!


Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name (optional)
Then

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you It's A Dog's Life - YOUR Dog's!.


Dog Chocolate Poison to Dog Proof Your Home

Dog Chocolate Poison to Dog First Aid 101