A Dog Ingesting Rat Poison
Is Very Common



When you spot your Dog Ingesting Rat Poison you should be sure to contact your vet as soon as possible.

A Dog Can Eat Rat Poison because these poisons have a favorable taste and are usually grain based.

Dogs are natural scavengers and will basically eat anything that is in front of them. This does depend on the dog breed and how intelligent they are, but if they have quickly fallen sick to something they have eaten, the chances that they will eat it again are slim. If you see your dog ingesting rat poison then quickly go to your Dog First Aid Kit to get some charcoal to make him or her vomit. If you do not happen to have a kit, call your Veterinarian and look around the house for some 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Rat poison contains a powerful chemical that is called warfarin. This chemical stops blood's natural ability to form a clot. Not all rat poisons contain this chemical, but even the ones that do not are still considered dangerous to pets. Vets and other pet caretakers recommended that people who have pets should opt for a more pet friendly product to trap rats.

Humane pet traps do exist and there are no risks of your dog eating the natural trap. On top of that, rats that have been poisoned take a couple of days to die, during this time they are weak and larger prey will often eat them; because of this your dog will have a chance of becoming extremely sick just by munching on one of these infected creatures.

Dogs do not always show signs of Dog Poison Symptoms when they eat rat poison right away; in fact it could be three to five days before they show any serious sign that something is wrong.

If signs do show up, some pet owners are quite quick to rule out any sort of rat poison because they might not have any laying around the house. It is this mistake that can cost your pet's life. It is important to be on good terms with your neighbors so that they can let you know if they have put out any dangerous rat poison.

If you are aware that poison has been put out then never leave your dog unsupervised when taking him out for a walk. Common Dog Symptoms of rat poisoning are typically blood related, such as bloody nose, blood in the urine, blood in the feces, coughing up blood, and internal bleeding.

A typical vet procedure in treating a dog that has eaten any rat poison is to make the dog Vomit.

If it has been more than two hours but less than twelve, vets will feed your dog activated charcoal which absorbs most of the poison already in the stomach and can prevent more from circling through the body. A plasma transfusion to help the blood start to clot again is needed if your dog had eaten the poison more than a day or two ago and a blood transfusion is required for more severe cases.

Learn some basic Dog First Aid in case you find your dog ingesting rat poison.




Subscribe to It's A Dog's Life - YOUR Dog's! , our monthly newsletter with information to help you keep your dog safe and healthy with some free Bonuses. Fill out the form below. You'll then receive an email asking you to confirm that you subscribed. And you'll always have the option to unsubscribe at the click of your mouse.

Subscribe to
It's A Dog's Life — YOUR Dog's!


Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name (optional)
Then

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you It's A Dog's Life - YOUR Dog's!.


Dog Ingesting Rat Poison to Dog Proof Your Home

Dog Ingesting Rat Poision to Dog First Aid