This guide to dog poisons will expose the risks of feeding dogs every-day human toxic foods and what sort of signs to look out for. This guide will also help you look out for household poisons that are very unfriendly to pets and show you how you can start buying pet-safe products to dog proof your home.
To start out this guide to dog poisons, if your dog has eaten any type of toxic houseplants, food, or an unnatural chemical, be sure to have your local vet's emergency number or an alternative 24 hour 7 days a week vet clinic.
If your dog starts to show unusual signs like vomiting, diarrhea, and any other obvious dog poison symptoms make sure to take him to the vet immediately. Alternatively if you need assistance right away and fear you can not reach a vet in time, then call the National Animal Poison Control Center at 1-900-680-0000. They are available 24/7.
Dogs who eat Onions in small dosages will not be killed or harmed by them and it is very rare for a vet to see a dog being poisoned by it as well, but this does not mean pet owners should not be aware of their harm.
Onions have a powerful component called thiosulphate, which dogs can not process naturally.
Because of this they can start to form a condition called hemolytic anemia, which weakens red blood cells and eventually starves the dog of oxygen. Dog symptoms are heavy breathing, liver damage, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in urine. It is recommended not to feed your dog onions.
Garlic, however, also contains thiosulphate but in smaller amounts and is considered safe in moderate quantities. Half a clove is suitable for dogs less than 15 pounds and dogs over 100 pounds should be fed no more than 3 cloves.
Too much garlic can also cause hemolytic anemia and it is especially bad for dogs that already have a pre-existing anemic condition. Puppies should not be given garlic as they are still developing.
Broccoli is also considered safe in moderate amounts but too much of a good thing can lead to dog poisoning.
Broccoli contains an ingredient called isothiocyanate and it is known to be a gastrointestinal irritant. They also contain a substance called oxalic acid, which prevents your dog from absorbing calcium as well.
Feeding your dog less than 5% of their diet is considered safe. 10% there will be some stomach irritation and could lead to minor symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea and anything over 25% could be extremely fatal to your dog.
Dogs will often stumble upon and eat wild mushrooms on their daily walk. If you catch your dog eating wild mushrooms for the very first time, be sure to take a sample home. You will be able to give it to the vet for examination if your dog starts to experience some strange symptoms.
There are other dangers right here in our homes, if dogs are not supervised. They tend to eat pieces that fall off toxic plants. These could be indoor houseplants, or those in the landscape in our gardens.