Household Poisons Harm
Thousands of Dogs Every Year


You'll find these household poisons in your kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, workshop and garage.

Read the contents list and know what dangers each item presents to you and your dog.

There are nontoxic replacements for some of these household poisons.

Secure the rest where your dog can't get into them and become another preventable poisoning statistic.

Don't make any room with toxic items her "home" when you're out.

She's far more likely to find and get into these poisons if she's kept in that room day after day.

In the Kitchen

Typical household poisons found in the kitchen include caustic drain and oven cleaners, sink and counter cleaners, and window cleaners.

Batteries are also dangerous.

Depending on where you live, you may have ant, roach or rat poison in the kitchen.

You may also have mousetraps; while not deadly, they will definitely cause some acute pain if your dog sets one off on her snout or paw.

Use baking soda and boiling vinegar instead of drain cleaners to clear your blocked pipes.

Use vinegar and newspapers to clean your windows.

Seal all small holes in cupboards and walls to keep out vermin.

Keep your counters and floors clean.

Soon you'll see your pest problem reduced to almost nothing.

If you do use household poisons in the kitchen, store them in a high cupboard or pantry shelf, out of reach of your dog, or put a childproof latch on the inside of the cupboard door so she can't open it and get into trouble.

In the Bathroom

The bathroom is full of dangerous items: medications, toilet and sink/tub cleaners, soaps, shampoos, rubbing alcohol, and contact lens solutions.

Many of these come in plastic containers, which your dog can easily chew through.

Some of these items are not poisonous, but they will cause, at the very least, stomach and GI distress.

Others, such as human medications, can cause serious harm to your dog.

Replace cleaners with nontoxic versions.

Keep all medications in the medicine cabinet out of her reach.

Do not leave shampoos and conditioners on the rim of the bathtub.

Hang them from the shower head, or keep them in a cupboard under the sink.

Secure the cupboard door with a childproof latch on the inside so that only you can open it.

Leave the lid of the toilet down at all times, especially if you use a blue cleaner that is always present in the bowl.

While toilet water (without the blue cleaner) is considered by many experts to be nontoxic, it can still cause stomach upset due to bacteria in the bowl.

If your dog becomes accustomed to drinking out of the bowl, she might drink from it one day while you've left it full of cleaning chemicals.

If the toilet is near the sink, the lowered lid makes a handy midpoint for a small dog who wants to go exploring.

Keep all jars and bottles off the vanity or counter top.

In the Laundry Room

Household poisons in the laundry room include bleach, detergents and fabric softeners.

You might also have petroleum distillates in the form of heavy duty cleaners if someone in the family works on cars or other greasy machinery.

Keep all laundry supplies secure on a high shelf or in a closed and latched cupboard.

In the Workshop

The workshop is home to many household poisons, including paints, varnishes and other finishes, hand cleaners, paint thinners and other petroleum distillates.

Some of these are very toxic, and all can cause stomach upset or more serious problems.

Do not leave open cans of paint or finish on the floor if your dog is in the house, or at ground level if you're working outside and she's with you.

When not in use, keep all cans on a high shelf or in a securely latched cupboard.

Keep all distillate containers completely sealed (which also reduces fumes in the workshop and house) and out of her reach.

In the Garage

Household poisons in the garage include antifreeze, oil, gasoline, brake and transmission fluid, rock salt or salt substitutes for icy sidewalks, and lawn and garden chemicals, including fertilizers and pesticides.

(See Lawn and Garden Poisons for more about these dangerous chemicals.)

If you work on your car or truck at home, keep the floor clean of all spills.

Antifreeze will kill your dog, quickly. She'll be attracted to it because of its sweet taste.

Clay-based kitty litter is good for quickly drying spills; however, do not use it if you have a cat in the house.

Your dog may enjoy an occasional snack or two from the litter pan, and might be tempted to try some of the kitty litter on the garage floor.

Keep all containers securely closed and out of her reach.

Keep bags of fertilizer and pesticides well out of reach as well.

If you're continually on the lookout for household poisons around the house, you'll prevent a possible, and definitely preventable, accident from ever causing your dog harm.




Subscribe to It's A Dog's Life - YOUR Dog's! , our monthly newsletter with in depth information to help you keep your dog safe and healthy with some free Bonuses. Fill out the form below. You'll then receive an email asking you to confirm that you subscribed. And you'll always have the option to unsubscribe at the click of your mouse.


Subscribe to
It's A Dog's Life — YOUR Dog's!


Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name
Then

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you It's A Dog's Life - YOUR Dog's!.


To Dog-proof Your Home from Household Poisons