sugarless chewing gum


(Palmetto, Florida, USA)


Last Nov 24th there was a thunder storm so I had my dog up on our bed to comfort her during the thunder and lightening.


I left her there and she had access to my purse. She nosed around and found a nearly new package of sugarless gum. She ate about 14 or 15 pieces.

If I had had the first aid kit ready I would have had some hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

I did know about the danger of Xylitol in sugarless gum but wasn't prepared. Instead we had to rush to a vet and because we were not from the area had to find one first. The vet used the peroxide to induce vomiting and since we acted so fast most of the pieces of gum were still in their paper wrappers.

She was fine but we did have to watch her carefully for the next 24 hours.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Dog First Aid.