Provide Dog First Aid for Vomiting and Help Your Dog Recover Faster
Before you consider providing dog first aid for vomiting,
you need to determine whether the condition is mild enough for you to treat it at home.
Causes of Vomiting
to learn whether you should treat your dog. If you are uncomfortable making this decision, consult your veterinarian.
When you correctly describe your dog's signs and symptoms to the vet (see
Signs of Vomiting
for these indicators), she will be able to make a decision on the seriousness of the illness, and whether she needs to treat it or that you can take care of it yourself.
Dog First Aid for Vomiting
Since there are no over-the-counter medicines for vomiting in dogs, the only treatment is a change of diet for several days. Follow these steps to ease up on your dog's system.
- Withhold all food and water for 12 to 24 hours. Also withhold your dog's heartworm pill. This gives his stomach and pancreas the rest they need.
- After you've withheld food and water for 12 to 24 hours, start providing small amounts of sugar water or an electrolyte solution. If you use sugar water, use one teaspoon (5 ml) to one cup (250 ml) of water.
- If your dog has kept down the liquids and does not vomit again, the next day begin feeding small amounts of a bland food. Your vet will likely have a special diet for this purpose. If she doesn't, use cooked egg (not fried), boiled chicken and cooked rice (one part chicken to three parts rice, lightly salted), or baby food with meat in it.
If the liquid or the food is vomited, stop your home treatment and consult your vet.
- Continue to increase the amount of bland food you give him over the next two days. If at any time the vomiting recurs, stop feeding him and consult your vet.
- Starting with the fourth day, add increasing amounts of his regular food. By day seven, he can be eating only his regular food. first aid for vomiting should only be used after you call your vet.
Subscribe to It's A Dog's Life - YOUR Dog's! , our monthly newsletter with in depth information to help you keep your dog safe and healthy with some free Bonuses. Fill out the form below. You'll then receive an email asking you to confirm that you subscribed. And you'll always have the option to unsubscribe at the click of your mouse.
Dog First Aid for Vomiting to Dog First Aid
dog first aid for vomiting to dog first aid 101