Dog Poison Symptoms

Dogs can have a variety of poisoning symptoms, depending on the chemical or product they have been exposed to.

To figure out what kind of household poisons or toxic houseplants your dog has been exposed to, look around the house for any open cabinets or remains of any plant like substance inside the house.

When you are out walking your dog it is best for him or her to be supervised at all times to prevent them from eating any dog poison.

Sometimes it is even hard to stop your dog from eating something, and if you feel that it could be toxic, bring the plant life or chemical to your veterinarian so that he can assess the amount of dog poisons your pet has consumed.

Having a dog first aid kit around the house will also greatly help your pet's chances of survival and even prevent some obvious dog poison symptoms.

Antifreeze is extremely toxic to dogs and even lethal. Dogs find antifreeze to be sweet and tasty and will not hesitate to consume large amounts of it. Typically when a car is leaking from its cooling system from when the pet owner is doing a regular antifreeze change, these are high-risk times for your dog to be exposed to it.

Dog poison symptoms can start within 30 minutes after exposure. There have been cases where dogs do not experience any symptoms until 12 hours after eating the product. Antifreeze symptoms come and go, making owners not realize the seriousness of the effects. Your dog might look like he is intoxicated or start to Vomit.

Be sure to get him or her to a vet in the early stages, as soon as these symptoms have stopped it means that the product has already gone through the basic nervous system.

This means that the kidneys are now taking in the chemical, which can lead to permanent kidney damage. Your dog will soon experience extreme signs of kidney failure if nothing is done in a timely matter.

Dogs who have been prescribed medication can also become either allergic or can consume the entire bottle because it is tasty.

Dogs find chewable medicines pleasurable. Symptoms will vary depending on the type of medicine your dog has been prescribed. Symptoms could be anything from vomiting to seizures. Contact your vet if your dog has eaten more than the recommended dosage or starts to have an obvious sign of an allergic reaction.

Dogs eat rat poison because a lot of rat baits are grain based which is very appealing to dogs and other animals. Rat poison symptoms can occur as little as three days to anywhere around 2 weeks.

There is a common misconception about dogs ingesting rat poison; many pet owners believe their dog will start to vomit.

Since a majority of rat poison brands contain a popular chemical called warfarin, which prevents the animal's blood to clot, dogs might not have any visible signs that something is wrong. Usually when symptoms occur it is often blood related such as a bloody nose, blood in the urine or feces, coughing up blood, and internal bleeding.

Ivermectin is a drug often used for treating heartworm, mites and other parasites, but the dosage for dogs is extremely small. 

Particular breeds like collies, Shetland sheepdogs (shelties), Australian shepherds, old English sheepdogs, English shepherds, German shepherds, long-haired whippets, silken windhounds, Skye terrier and mixed breeds containing any of the above are particularly at risk of an overdose.

Symptoms include;

  • dilated pupils
  • lethargy
  • depression
  • unsteadiness when walking
  • mental dullness
  • drooling
  • vomiting
  • loss of appetite
  • disorientation
  • tremors/seizures
  • blindness
  • trouble standing
  • slow heartbeat
  • difficulty breathing
  • coma

Treatment has to begin right away, and be supervised by your vet.  The treatment may consist of;

  • charcoal to soak up the medication
  • induced vomiting if the exposure is recent (within 4 to 6 hours)
  • iv fluid therapy
  • keeping electrolytes in balance
  • intravenous nutritional support
  • turning the dog over frequently
  • appropriate bedding
  • physical therapy
  • ocular lubricants
  • ventilator in case of respiratory distress
  • heat support if body temperature is low
  • fans if body temperature is high
  • if your dog can not stand up, urinary catheters may be needed
  • medication for seizures if appropriate

If your dog has any of these dog poison symptoms please take care of your dog right away. Time is paramount in treating any kind of poisoning, as the longer you wait, the more the poison can act on tissues, making even more damage.


Dog Poison Symptoms to Dog Proof Your Home

You might like these

  • Dog Symptoms of Illness and Injury

    The sooner you can provide the right first aid for an illness or injury, the better the chance of survival. Know your dog symptoms of illness and injury and improve his chances.

  • Common Dog Eye Problems

    Most Common Dog Eye Problems can be taken care of by knowing your dog and being prepared.

  • Dog Ear Mites Infection

    Ear mites are eight legged little bugs that reside by the thousands, inside the ear canals.